Wednesday 25 September 2013

Why Art Matters to Me

Why does Art Matter to me?

1. Art creates a more vibrant, interesting and creative world to live in
Many people think that art is only a form of entertainment. However, I feel that art makes the world a more interesting place to live in. Without art, there will not be design and designers, and we will be living in a very boring and mundane world. There will not be much difference in the products we buy, as everything will look the same. Even our homes will look the same without interior designers. To me, art is important in its way of being able to quirk things up, to make the ordinary look unique. It is thanks to art that we have such a vibrant world to live in, with so many different designs and packaging of different food and toy products, and a whole array of clothes. Thus art is very important to me, as it helps us to brighten up our lives, and I cannot even imagine living in a place without art.

2. Through art, I can entertain others
Entertainment is not the only reason why art exists, but it is a reason why there is art. I don't usually create artworks for the sole purpose of entertaining someone (unless its a birthday present). I usually make artworks out of pure interest, but I like using my works to perk someone up. I always feel happy when I brighten up my family and friends' faces after showing them my artworks. I feel glad that I can bring them joy through art.

3. Art helps me to express my emotions
A picture paints a thousand words. Whenever I am feeling very sad or angry, and no one close to me can understand why, I turn to art. I don't draw or paint dramatically to release my bottled up emotions. Instead, I like to draw something that I like, such as animals (or Pokemon), and through drawing these, I find myself relaxing. The time that I take to draw the creatures also allows me to think through my negative emotions. To me, art is the most effective way of expressing my emotions and calming down.

4. Art helps me to discover and understand myself better
I feel that art requires a tremendous lot of patience and effort. On a normal basis, I always think that I have patience. But whenever I am drawing or painting or creating art of any kind, my patience is put to the test. Usually, when I am creating an artwork, I get pretty fed-up and flustered. Time and time again, I find out that I lack patience. I also have a lot of quiet time for self-reflection whenever I am working on an art piece. This allows me to think through my life, and find out my weaknesses and strengths.

5. Art is therapeutic, and helps me to relieve stress
Lastly, art helps me to relieve stress. I find that drawing is very therapeutic, and sometimes, i get so involved in drawing that i do not realise how fast time flies. I love drawing animals, and when I am doing so, I tend to think more about the animal I am drawing, and this always helps me to relax my mind. Playing calming music softly in the background helps too. I will feel very calm, and I always enjoy these moments. Thus, I like to make it a habit to draw frequently, so that I can have regular sessions of de-stressing with art therapy.

Art means a lot to me, and plays a big role in my life. I can't imagine what I'll do if I don't get my regular sessions of de-stressing with my self-conducted art therapy, or how I can cheer others up without using art (I'm not very good with words). I know I will not be able to survive well in a world without colourful, interesting and vibrant art surrounding us.

No comments:

Post a Comment