Tuesday 24 September 2013

Dot Painting with Pens

I did this dot painting when I was 13. This was done in my own spare time. The dots are not really done with paint though, they are done using coloured pens. Firstly, I drew a lion with some patterns on it. Next, I added some designs into the background to spice up the drawing, which can be seen at the four corners of the paper. Then I used the coloured pens to draw small dots throughout the whole piece of paper. It is a pity that I used a very similar colour to the lion’s outline and the background, since it makes the lion blend in. This is my first time doing a dot painting, and it was an interesting experience.


Close up of lion's head

Close up of lion's body

Close up of one of the sides of the background

This artwork really tested my patience, and I learnt that one has to be meticulous and careful in order to create a nice artwork. This lesson has helped me throughout my journey in AEP, as whenever I feel like giving up and rushing through a piece of work, I will be reminded of this lion, and I will calm myself down and work slowly and carefully.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Christine (:
    THIS IS AMAZING. NO KIDDING. Your patience is asdfghjkl - no words to describe. My favorite thing about your artwork is that it has a very tribal print feel to it. It is done beautifully with beautiful patterns. It reminds me a little of Batik cloth. The amount of patience you have stippling is wonderful. The colours you use enhanced the whole piece especially the lion. The lion is a majestic creature and by using warm colours in your piece, you really brought about a "King of the Jungle" feel to it.
    Some suggestion I would like to give is maybe you might want to try it on white paper with more vibrant colours, I feel it will bring out your design more. (I understand that coloured pens are a pain when you use them on black paper.) Another thing is maybe you might want to explore some more patterns in term of shapes and prints (:
    However, I think its really awesome that you did this artwork especially when you were 13! :D
    Cheng Hui (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Christine!:)
    I think this is really awesome! I can't believe how much time you must have spent drawing this, colouring each dot one by one. This really reminds me of the Australian Aboriginal Art, (You should check it out, it's pretty similar with what you did:). And I really like how you've arranged the dots around the lion, such that they seem to be 'coming out' of the lion, like there's a glow around it, and also made this drawing more lively.

    As for improvements, I don't really have much..perhaps you can use more vibrant colours next time, so that the lion will stand out more (I like the colour combination of the four corners:). And maybe next time when you do something like this again, you can try using paint with a cotton bud(there's a type of paint that will not dry flat..I can't remember what it was though..it might make your lion look more pop out:)- using a cotton bud will help you keep the size of the dots consistent too:)

    Anyway, I think that what you did was really cool! Hope to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful painting!! Yeah each and all art is very unique and explain their culture. Like Aboriginal Art is most popular art in Australia culture.

    ReplyDelete