Tuesday 24 September 2013

Drawing at the Supermarket

One of the June holiday assignments in 2011 was to take 10 photographs in a supermarket or wet market, with each photograph telling a story. After that, we were supposed to draw two of the photographs. Each drawing should be A3 in size. I picked two photographs the were slightly different to draw. The first photograph was of my brother holding a powder milk can. The second was of a baby in a pram. Since these were set in a supermarket, there were many bottles of sauces and powder milk cans in the background. My AEP teacher told me that I could just draw the rough shapes and leave the details of these background bottles or cans out.

My brother holding a milk powder can


Close up of the shirt

Close up of the hand and top part of milk can

Close up of the milk can


A baby in a pram


Close up of the baby

Close up of the pram. The photo was turned clockwise by the program and I have no idea how to upright it. >.<


I have been using pencils since young, but I have always used them to draw cartoons. I found the shading of my brother's checkered shit very difficult. I broke up the shirt into four portions. These portions follow the 4 main sectors the natural folds of the shirt created. I spent one day shading and drawing one portion, so each portion is better than the previous. The milk can was also very difficult to recreate. I spent one whole day on that too. The baby in the pram was fairly easy, and I finished it without much difficulty.

Overall, this assignment has helped me to improve my observational skills, and has sharpened my drawing skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment